Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Feminism Definition, Anyone?

On the first day of class we defined feminist as “a person (actively) pursuing equality between the sexes.” And now that we have been through a week of class, I still can’t quite pin point my personal definition. I like the idea that we decided to use the term “person” over strictly choosing “woman” because I do believe that men have that the ability to be feminists. I’m a little sketchy on the using of the term “actively.” I’m hesitant because I would like to call myself a feminist but I have never walked up and down the street with a picket sign. I would, however, stand up for my gender if they were to be downgraded in some way. My personal definition might go something like “a person, be it man or woman, who is consistently striving for ‘sameness’ between the sexes, either passively or actively.”
Bernice Johnson Reagon was influential when she brought up her “barred cell” approach. I like her thought process that you can’t keep people out of the “feminist movement” if they truly want to be included (ie: men and transgenders). I also took Marilyn Frye into consideration when she talked about the “opening doors” situation. She showed me that there still things going on in our society today that show the oppression that occurred many years ago. That doesn’t necessarily mean that when a guy opens the door for you he is thinking “this woman is weak and needs my help!” It just goes to show that there are bigger things out there that showcase the oppression that women are under. Therefore, it’s a constant fight. Lastly, I would have to say that the class discussion about the difference between “equality” and “sameness” made a large impact on my definition. While we were talking in class, my mind was racing back and forth between the two. I eventually came to my own personal conclusion that “equality” is focusing on the sexes having the same rights (which I agree with) but “sameness” adds the idea that both sexes are treated the same way. I’m still a little “wishy-washy” on my personal definition but I think I’m getting a little closer to what feminism means to me each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment